Our family business,
supporting your family...

History of C.E. Fuller & Co.

George Shaw advert from 1915
Ernest Fuller and Herbert Johnson
Cecil and Ernest Fuller

Prior to 1868 and the formation of our company we know that a John Murfet was operating from this address as a wheelwright as he is mentioned in the Cambridgeshire Directory for 1847 and it is possible that George Shaw in some way took over his business.

In 1868 George Shaw started working from this address and advertised his services as a Funeral Director as well as doing the usual mix of other roles expected of a small country firm such as wheelwrights and builders. At this time outside of the largest cities it would have been very unusual for a company to have traded solely as a Funeral Director.

In 1915 the company changed to Fuller & Johnson being run by Herbert Johnson and Ernest Fuller thus beginning the period of our families ownership of the company. They continued to do the same range of work as George Shaw had although increasingly the wheelwrights side of the business was concerned with repairs rather than building new vehicles. Cecil Fuller worked for the company during this time and the first complete new wheel he ever made was in the 1980s.

Following the death of Herbert Johnson in February 1938 the existing partnership was dissolved and the company taken over by Ernest Fuller's son, Cecil, who traded as Cecil E. Fuller. Although the letterheads continued to advertise a wide range of services including plumber and hot water fitter increasingly the focus was on general building work and funerals. As well as general changes in society there were changes within the funeral trade with the opening of the first crematorium in the area. Soon Cecil was adept at offering cremation as an option instead of the more traditional burial.

In 1964 Cecil retired and Reg Brown, his son-in-law, took over and started C. E. Fuller & Co. which slowly withdrew from building work until, today, it is largely focused on funeral work.