Our family business,
supporting your family...

Cecil Fuller

Cecil Fuller in the Flying Corp
Cecil and Blanch Fuller in their Rover Motorcycle

The C. E. Fuller behind the company name was Cecil Ernest Fuller who was the only son of Ernest & Florence Fuller. After attending the infants school he left the Shade Boys School when he around 13 and went to work for the W. H. Smith & Sons Book Stall on Soham Station delivering papers. When he about 15 he started an apprenticeship with his father for four years.

After two years this was interrupted when he was called up to join the army in March 1917. Just before his regiment was due to go to France he was transferred to the Royal Flying Corp to work as a rigger on aircraft - this meant he got to stay in England throughout the war. Because his interrupted apprenticeship he was discharged in March 1919 and rejoined Fuller & Johnson.

The 1920s opened with him getting involved with two of the great loves of his life - Blanche Johnson and Motorbikes. Motorbikes came first in 1920 with a secondhand Triumph which was the first of many. In February 1923 he met Blanche and they were married in September 1925.

In 1960 his daughter, Anita, married Reg Brown and four years later Cecil retired leaving Reg to take over the business which changed to C. E. Fuller & Co.

Following his retirement Cecil was always busy - indeed he always maintained he was busier after retirement than before. In 1968 he re-established his love affair with motorbikes when he acquired a 1913 Rover which Blanche's uncle had purchased second-hand in the twenties. This was soon restored and equipped with a sidecar and soon Cecil and the motorbike became a well known sight around Soham and at various rallies.

Cecil died in November 1991, a few months short of his 93rd birthday and had that insatiable curiosity about how things worked and the mischievous twinkle in his eye to the last.